Apr 12, 2010

Reflection on principles of communication/ Teamwork on programming and problem-solution projects

                                                      CG1108 Group

The sands of time sure trickle fast. It feels like only yesterday that I entered into the CG1413 class. Now its past thirteen weeks. I learnt a lot about the essential nuances of communication during this time span.


3 out of my 5 modules this semester revolved around teamwork. It has been a pleasure and a valuable learning experience working with people of different nationalities. I had no same teammate for two modules, hence widening my social circle as group work sure does foster friendships.

My CG1102 group was the most diverse one. Being a team leader in such a multi-cultural group was a challenging task. Holding team meetings, distributing tasks, setting deadlines and above all understanding each member’s strengths and weaknesses were the most important tasks I was entrusted upon with. At the end of the semester I feel I was able to supervise the project. The skills of leadership and effective team work I have learnt will help me in my future endeavors.

The oral presentations, meetings and reflection in CG1413 have sharpened my communication skills. Until the onset of this module, I was not too proficient at public-speaking. But by the end of oral presentation 2 I feel I have come a long way. The reflections have honed my writings skills and have given me the necessary confidence for writings reports.
To my surprise, the video recordings were very helpful. Previously, we all were hesitant at the idea but the reviewing helped us identify areas requiring improvement as we had the opportunity to view ourselves from a third person’s perspective.

Effective teamwork was the biggest challenge in CG1108. The final project involves various components and we need to work together as a team. It becomes essential to communicate our ideas, put our point across effectively and keep each other updated on the progress. Hence there was a good amount of learning experience I gained from working in teams.

The collaboration between CG1102 and CG1413 made this semester much more fun and interesting. Thought we spent the majority of the semester managing the work load of these two semesters, I feel the knowledge that these modules imparted to me, I will treasure for life. Effective communication and team work skills are really important to succeed in this globalized world. Surely engineers do not just sit behind the chair and work!

6 comments:

Paul Averilla said...

Hi Saurabh,

I firmly agree that there is so much learning and enriching brought about by these different team-based modules that we have been taking. Same as you, I also had diverse various team mates with several different teams that I was a part of.

The point on video recordings that you made is a very important highlight. With the many distinct requirements that we had for CG1413, the video-recorded activities, I must say, had the most positive influence when trying to improve the execution for that particular activity. These videos made me realize and became conscious of my actions from an audience’s point-of-view. Through these videos, we could see ourselves, could hear ourselves, and thus, could evaluate ourselves which allowed us to bring in a more critical self-analysis.

Truly, these modules are more exciting than the usual; they take up more time than the normal; and they provide deeper learning than the conventional.

All the best for the coming years! May you be able to apply wisely the learning gained from these different modules.

Regards,
Paul

Qinxian said...

Dear Saurabh,

First off, I would like to say that it was great working with you for the CG1102 project. You did a great job being a team leader. I know at times it was not easy, but you managed to pull through well. Good job on that!

I must say that through all over project assignments, we were given a great deal of practice to sharpen our communication skills. Even though this led to our heavy workload, we were able to have a deeper learning experience.

Also, I fully agree that video recording was very important in our course of study. At first it made everyone feel awkward, but come to think of it, we were able to spot our mistakes much better with the videos.

The crazy workload of semester 2 has finally come to an end (except for the exams), but I'm sure, you have learned a great deal in terms of content and communication as well. We have indeed come a long way.

Let's hope these essential skills will stay with us throughout our lives and we will continue to improve on them.

Lastly, good luck for the exams and enjoy the break!

Cheers,
Qinxian

Zhen Yong said...

Hi Saurabh,

I’ll have to agree with you that time seemed to fly by so fast in this semester. It felt as though the semester just started yesterday, and now, we are reaching the end of the semester.
Strange enough, even though time seemed to fly by so fast, I felt that we learnt and grew even much more than last semester, which seemed draggy and slow to me.

While reading through your post, I noticed a couple of points that you made were base on the fact that you took the role of a leader. It’s good to know that while taking on the role of a leader, you learnt several key skills in handling teams and coordinating tasks.
As I didn’t have the opportunity to lead a team this semester, I did not get to have the experience you mentioned in your post when you took on the leadership role. You should consider yourself lucky, as you are able to have the chance to lead a team, and subsequently hone your skills as a leader more effectively.
However, in accordance to what I learnt in the past (one of those leadership camps that I used to attend), in order to be an effective leader, one must first be an effective member. It is only through the shoes of a team member that one can understand how a team member feels when the leader makes certain decisions.
Hence, it is not that much of a waste that I didn’t get to lead a team this time round, as I will always get the chance to do it in the future...

Cheers
Zhen Yong

Sanya saxena said...

Thanks for incredible info I was looking for this information for my assignment. http://www.doortraining.co.in/solutions/training/individual-effectiveness/communication-teamwork

Unknown said...

mba online courses
A debt of gratitude is in order for unfathomable data I was searching for this data for my task.

luckys said...

movies123

Post a Comment